Monday, August 6, 2012

Survive Summer... In Pink!

It says "Survive Summer" - something I aspire to do in this 100 degree (plus) weather!
 

It might be too small to read, but the inside says "Everything else is seasonal." In Texas, nothing could be more true! Summers last too long and make everything else seem temporary... It's like something out of Game of Thrones.


This weekend was a challenging weekend (pun intended). The theme is inspired by Saturated Canary, Challenge #23 - the great outdoors. I've been wanting to use one of the super cute digis supplied by Krista (of Saturated Canary) and knew that Canary Love was the gal for me - she is just too cute!! She originally comes with a lovable canary at the end of her string, but I was feeling a kite and took some liberties. I added some string (embroidery floss??) to the end. It was laying around so I tied some bows in it and made the  thingy (<- technical term) that comes off the end of the kite.

For a little more inspiration, I searched around and found Totally Paper Craft's Challenge #128. The challenge is monotone - it was harder than it sounds!! I actually started out with green (one of my fave colors) but it felt wrong so I changed to pink, which made the challenges even more challenging because I don't own a lot of pink crafty things.

The pink flower(s), paisley sticker (Momenta) and ribbon were laying around near the mystery string, so I figured I'd utilize them, too. That was pretty much the extent of pink things I own, so I went to Michael's and Hobby Lobby to hunt up some girly stuff. The round bubble things were on clearance (yippee!!) - 12 pieces in 4 different colors for 99 cents - and are from jolee's Boutique... something about Inspiration Francaise. The card's main paper is by Lost and Found, but I don't know the name because I cut the strip with the name off and flipped it over. If you look at the inside of the card, you can see it running up the right and left sides. I thought it was clever until I realized that I was missing some information. The other papers are from The Paper Studio's Basics collection. How fantastically simplifying!!

Oh, I also got two new Copic pens (I now have 4!): RV00 and RV02. {News Flash: Hobby Lobby sells their Copics for a WHOLE dollar LESS than Michael's!! PLUS!!! You still get 40% off. Major excitement on my part.} I mixed them with the light and hot pink Tombow markers I already owned. I really committed to the pink, so even her eyes are pink, which is a little creepy. The printer is acting up, so the outline of Canary Love is a little light. I used the .01 black Copic pen to darken her eyes and polka dots, which lessened the creepy-factor of her pink eyes.

The challenges are really inspiring for me because I struggle with being artistic. It's a bit overwhelming and I don't really know where to start. If you could measure artistic ability the way you measure a child's growth, I may have added an inch just by trying to make everything pink. Seriously, I think I made a wrinkle in my brain this weekend!

As a side note - and solely for the purpose of supporting kindness and generosity (I'm not being compensated for support) - Krista of Saturated Canary is on a one-woman crusade to make the world a little more giving. Sometimes we forget to give - as if, like everything but summer in Texas, giving is seasonal. Need doesn't know seasons, so please join Krista and support St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. Besides, when you give, you get... and in this case, you'll get a special digi just for giving through her charity project. It's like an immediate karmic payback!

Enjoy your Monday and keep it crafty!

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous card, love the image and detail. Thanks for joining us at Totally Papercrafts.
    We could use some of your fabulous sunshine.
    Hugs Sue W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute and the pink is fabulous :)
    Thank you so much for sharing your make with us over on the saturated canary challenge blog
    Hugs Lou xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty.. :0)..thanks for sharing with us at Saturated Canary Challenges..hugs Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute card Kibbi- I love the SC image, she's perfect all in pink :). Hugs, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty, thanks for joining us at Saturated Canary this time. Please consider removing comment verification, it's really very difficult to read the captcha and makes leaving comments virtually impossible. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! I did not even realize it was on! Thank you for telling me, Bev - and for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete